What is an Exercise Physiologist?

What is the difference between an Exercise Physiologist vs. Physiotherapist vs. Personal Trainer?

This is a common question that I have been constantly asked by the patients and in general for people who wanted to know.

According to Exercise & Sports Science Australia (ESSA):

Exercise physiology and physiotherapy are both recognised allied health professions. Exercise physiologists primarily treat patients using clinical exercise interventions as their main modality. There is also a strong focus on behavioural change and self-management concepts. Physiotherapists are health care professionals who assess, diagnose, treat and manage acute injury, disability and pain through physical techniques such as manipulation, massage and exercise.

AEP vs. PT

Accredited Exercise Physiologists (AEPs) are not Personal Trainers. AEPs are allied-health professionals with Medicare Provider numbers and are trained members of the health and medical sector. Fitness professionals (e.g. personal trainers) are members of the sport and recreation sector.

Personal Trainer

* The Personal Fitness Trainer Qualification (Certificate 4) may be completed in less than 6-weeks of training.

* Qualified and insured to design and deliver fitness programs to persons of low risk only (i.e. ‘apparently healthy populations’).

Accredited Exercise Physiologist (AEP)

* Allied Health Provider

* 4-year University Degree qualified and accredited with ESSA.

* Specialise in graded exercise therapy and lifestyle interventions for persons at risk of developing, ot with existing chronic and complex medical conditions and injuries (i.e. ‘specific populations’).